Seiko celebrate this year the 55 year history of Grand Seiko, is of course the foundation on which its present success is built but it is also the key to its future. Since its creation in 1960, every Grand Seiko watch has shared the same commitment to the pure essential of watchmaking. Precision, legibility, comfort and durability are the attributes that have always defined Grand Seiko and always will.
Because of these cherished and long held values, Grand Seiko’s history is a source of rich inspiration for its designers and the Grand Seiko Historical Collection is the result. In 2013, the 1967 44GS was recreated, in 2014 it was the turn of the 1964 “Self Dater,” and in 2015, Grand Seiko returns to 1967 and to its first ever automatic watch, the 62GS.
62GS was not only automatic, it was supremely accurate, achieving the level of the highest published standard of the day. The design, too, established a style that has been passed down the years to today’s Grand Seiko. 62GS had a mirrored, multi-sided case and a wide dial opening, achieved with a bezel-free construction and Grand Seiko’s unique “Zaratsu” polishing. Together, these elements combined to make 62GS a clean, slim, easy-to-read and comfortable watch whose popularity was both immediate and lasting. It was distinctive, too. The crown was recessed and placed at the 4 o’clock position to dramatize the fact that hand winding was not required, and 62GS also had the long and razor-edge hands that have always been part of the Grand Seiko signature.
Caliber 9S65 drives the re-creation models. One is in steel and the others are in different shades of 18K gold. The lion emblem on the case back, the dial layout, the distinctive hour markers and the dial logotypes (notably “Diashock”) are all inherited from the original 62GS.
Specifications and price:
- Caliber: 9S65 Mechanical
- Driving system: Mechanical Automatic
- Power reserve: 72 hours
- Vibrations: 28,800 vibrations per hour (8 beats per second)
- Jewels: 35 jewels
- Accuracy: +5/-3 second per day
- Diameter: 37,6mm, Thickness: 12,9mm
- Case: Stainless steel (SBGR095),18K white gold (SBGR091),18K yellow gold (SBGR092) ,18K pink gold (SBGR094)
- Sapphire with anti-reflective coating on inner surface and see-through case back
- Bracelet: Crocodile
- Water resistance: 10 Bar
- SBGR095: 4,300 Euros ( approximately 4,685 USD)
- SBGR091: 17,000 Euros ( approximately 18,522 USD)
- SBGR092: 16,100 Euros ( approximately 17,541 USD)
- SBGR094: 16,100 Euros ( approximately 17,541 USD)